Thursday, August 19, 2010

Itemized Bill

I spent $63.17 at the Petsmart
to buy the filters and lights
for the aquarium
for our turtle.
(Who is now your turtle.)

I spent $32.87 at Food Lion
to buy groceries
for the week
expecting us to dine together.

I spent $46.43 at Gap
to buy you pants
and shirts
for your new job.

I spent two hours on Wednesday
debating what to do when
I found the e-mails and pictures
between you and she --
but I can't put a price on that.

There are a lot of things
I can't put a price on.

So you scoff,
but $142.47 doesn't even begin
to total
what you took from me.

5 comments:

  1. Jess, this is wonderful and poignant. Not bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. It's not bad at all. It made me "Aaah" because I felt it in my guts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I felt it in my guts too, like a punch. And not in a bad way.

    ReplyDelete